Ransomes' long history begins in 1789 when Robert Ransome started his iron-foundry business with only £200. Then, in 1832, Ransomes built the world’s first lawn mower, the “Buddings Patent” and a turf care industry leader was born. Since then, Ransomes has taken pride in providing superior quality turf maintenance equipment to customers around the world.
Ransomes has produced some of the industry’s most important firsts including:
- The first steam plough in 1856
- The first petrol lawn mower in 1902
- Britain’s first battery-powered electric truck in 1920
- The first rotary mower for home use with four reversible cutting blades in 1955
- The first tractor-mounted, power-driven, five-unit gang mower in 1964
- The first self-propelled high work rate ride-on triple mower in 1974
- The first turf groomer in 1986
- The first all-electric triple mower in 1994
- The first magnetic bedknife in 2004
- The first triplex mini flail mower in 2013
Thanks to our unrivalled understanding of turf maintenance, equipment from Ransomes is trusted to maintain some of the world’s most prestigious and sacred areas, such as royal palace lawns, cemeteries, and monuments. As we look to the future of our industry, Ransomes will continue to build upon our legendary history through quality, innovation and green initiatives.